Tattoo Aftercare – Preventing Infected Tattoos
Tattoo aftercare is crucial and is the most important thing you must after your trip to the tattoo artist. Presented below are a few tips for proper tattoo care of your freshly minted tattoo.
You finally went through getting a tattoo after a dare, or to prove your commitment for a loved one, or whatever. I know you thing it looks great and I’m sure it does but you have to take care of your skin, especially for the next couple of days. Many people forget about tattoo aftercare because they are so excited about the getting the tattoo, a sort of tattoo euphoria of getting one. You can still enjoy showing off your new tat to your friends but in the long run, proper tattoo care will keep your skin healthy and increased the years of visibility of the permanent tattoo.
Tips on Tattoo Aftercare:
- Your tattoo artist knows what you have to do after you get a tattoo. Listen to them. Most artists have a list of do’s and don’ts for tattoo aftercare. Make sure you listen to their rules or list of aftercare tips and follow them on a daily basis. Some days you may need to have the tattooed area bandaged in order to prevent it from being infected. I can’t stress this enough always listen to the instructions given to you by the tattoo artist.
- Make sure to keep the tattooed area bandaged up for at least 3 hours after getting the tattoo. Everybody’s skin is different in texture, skin sensitivity varies from person to person, so make ensure discuss this with your tattoo artist when he or she is given you aftercare tips. Remember never use the same bandage, seriously you’d me amazed what people do to save a buck.
- When you are comfortable taking off your bandage, wash your new tattoo with gentle soap and under running water. Gently wash off the surface of your skin with your fingers.
- Using a clean paper towel, dry the area by simply patting the skin with the paper towel. Avoid using cloth because it can carry certain bacteria that can react with your skin.
- Make sure to ask your tattoo artist on what creams to use, which would be the best for your skin type. Cream will ensure that your skins heals much faster. Use the cream by applying it to the skin for at least 3 days. By doing this, it will moisturize the skin an act as a disinfectant.
- After the third day switch to a light lotion. There are tattoo aftercare lotions in large drugstores. These lotions should be mild that are additive and perfume free. These lotions ensure the tattoed area stays moist.
- Stay out of the sun. You should make sure that you limit sun exposure to your tattoo durinf the first 7 – 10 days. After a few weeks start using a good sunblock, this will ensure that your tattoo doesn’t fade away at a much quicker rate.
- Its okay to shower with a new tattoo. However, do not bathe, soaking your tattoo for a long period of time can overmoisturize the tattooed area. Avoiding swimming for a couple of week is also a good idea.
- After a few weeks, skin may begin to peel off. This is common and happens because the skin is going through a healing process. When this occurs, do not touch that area.
- Wearing loose fitting clothing is always a good idea.
- If there is any swelling, use cold treatment like ice packs on the affected area. This would calm inflamed skin.
Tattoo aftercare is crucial for ensuring a healthy looking, long-lasting tattoo and you can to that by following these simple tips.